Monday, March 22, 2010

The White House, Rev. Jesse Jackson and me.

There he was. Staring right at me. Like one of those paintings that no matter how further and further you move away from them, they just won't stop stalking you. The one and only Rev. Jesse Jackson was looking right at me.

Out of seemingly nothing, Rev. Jackson surprised the huge crowd that gathered Sunday morning in front of the White House. 

"This land was made for you and me," Rev. Jackson screamed to the crowd. 

Rev. Jackson's presence became almost symbolic of the black and brown unity of the day. His words took us back to the days when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other leaders walked the same ground demanding the same rights for African Americans.

Young Black and Latino kids walked the grounds surrounding the White House. All of us working together to pass a comprehensive immigration reform. All of us united by the pain of being treated systematically differently because of our skin color or a lack of documentation.

"March on, fight on," Rev. Jackson said. "Keep hope alive!"

*I got very sick after the march. Since we'll be leaving today after meeting with Congress peeps today, I won't be able to update the blog while on the road back to California. But comeback and check it after I get back to California on Wednesday. 




No comments: