Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fictitious Band Spotlight: KORY WILLIAMS ON LADY GAGA AND PSEUDO-FEMINSIM

Kory Williams can't get enough of Leslie Hall, the famous gem sweater lady that spits rhymes about gold  pants and stinging like a bee. Sampling Hall's "Ring A Ding Ding" for her latest single "Platinum," Williams lights up a cigarette to chat with Notas From The Beach about her obsessions. 

Notas From The Beach: I must say, I too am obsessed with the Leslie. What is it about her that you love?
Kory Williams: What is not to like about an artist that is doing her own thing via this vehicle we call the internet. Listen man, the music industry as we knew it is over. You've got M.I.A., who I love by the way, using it for the right social purposes. Then there's Lady Gagaddona (giggles) , who I also love by the way, who is using it to make her fortune. Then you got Leslie who is a struggling artist who is crazy as fuck making these crazy ass beats about living in Iowa. 




NFTB: Would you say you were one of the last few young artists to enjoy the music business as you knew it?
KW: I don't read newspapers much, but with my time in The Pinks, I enjoyed the perks of having a label back you up. After my last three solo albums, which did have a lot of label support, I did so well that I can produce and do this shit on my own. But I feel bad for artists like Leslie, who are independent and just driving around the country in a van with nobody backing them up.

NFTB: Why don't you give a lending hand?
KW: Did you not hear me? I don't read newspapers. I don't know what that would entail. Plus I like my money in the bank. But I really do hope she finds someone who can help her out. 

NFTB: In the 90s, you were famous not only for the rock music you were doing with The Pinks and then on your own, but for the drug and sex scandals that came with being a rock star as well. Do you think that young women should be as free as they want as you were back in the 90s and not let all the boys have all the fun.
KW: Listen man, I did what I did out of boredom and because drugs were available and boys are easy. It was never meant to be some sort of feminist statement. You can quote me on that. People that do drugs are just stupid. No matter how much fun or trippy they are. Fucking easy boys, well, let's just say that some of them left little presents in my privates if you know what I mean. Men and women will always be treated differently if we keep paying attention to that. By you asking me that question, you're only bringing back that stereotype. 

NFTB: But you cannot deny there's still that double standard between male and female rock stars.
KW: Who gives a fuck. It's lame journalists like yourself who ask these lame questions and put us in strange situations when we don't know what to answer. Fuck that.

NFTB: I see. What do you think about acts like Lady Gaga and Rihanna leading the charts. Looks like is a women's music world after all.
KW: Do you have some sort of feminist agenda or something? Look, I appreciate Lady Gaga for being weird and shit. Rihanna? Well, let's just say that I don't think it's a smart move for her to do a song titled "Love The Way You Lie" after the shit that went down with her ex-boyfriend. But again, why must you make this shit about gender man? You're pissing me off. An artist is just an artist. Would I like more music CEOs? Sure. Do I like it when Rihanna grinds a fucking zebra and makes it to the top of the charts while Leslie doesn't even get a mention on Entertainment Tonight despite the fact that she wears outfits that are as hot as hers? Of course not. Until then, stop annoying us women and start asking some real questions.

1 comment:

DG Beat said...

Yeah!!! I discovered your blog. Now I have a lot of catching up to do. Hope you're well.